Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Chapter Fifty-seven

Somebody reached the walls of the Citadel," said Stone.

The Colonel turned his attention to the main view screen. "Who is it?"

"I'm not sure, sir. It's only seven people. I don't know how they did it. The other teams were either engaged and killed or turned back."

"Not much that seven people can do," said the Colonel.

"They did get in," said Stone. "That's more than anyone else was able to do."

"Well, I suppose I'd better get back to the command post. This might be the break that we need."

"You think they'll be able to tell us anything?"

"I don't know about that, but we've got them in. Now we'd better be ready to follow up."

"Yes, sir."

The Colonel stood up and moved to the hatch. "You're ready for another flight?"

"If necessary," said Stone.

The hatch irised open and the Colonel disappeared through it. Stone watched him go and wondered what he was thinking about. The last aerial assault had been a disaster.

No comments: